Your patient has an increased lifelong risk of serious bacterial infections. Therefore it is important they have the most up to date education regarding their risk of infection, vaccines and antibiotics available.
- Check latest Spleen Australia medical recommendations
- Reinforce with the patient on signs and symptoms of infection and when to seek urgent medical care
- Ensure correct doses and timing of pneumococcal, meningococcal and Haemophilus influenzae type B vaccines have been administered
- Prescribe daily prophylactic antibiotics if required
- Ensure patient has an emergency supply of antibiotics and that they understand when to take it
- Give annual influenza vaccine
- Register with Spleen Australia if you live in Victoria, Tasmania or Queensland